September is almost here and that means we’re in Back-to-School mode! To help your chapter hit the ground running we’ve put together some steps you can take to get ready for the semester:
1. Is your chapter feeling TRANSFORMative? Plan a mental health advocacy campaign. Take a look at our brand new Transform Your Campus toolkit with helpful templates and tips for creating institutional and policy change on your campus, like getting crisis hotline information added to the back of every student ID.
2. Check out our improved fundraising resources, including the Miles in Our Shoeswalk/run/ride kit, a checklist for selling raffle tickets on campus, and new and improved guides for online fundraising.
3. Let others know why you speak about suicide and mental illness during Suicide Prevention Month. Share a post on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or Tumblr with#ReasonsISpeak and the reasons you combat the silence surrounding suicide and mental illness.
4. Orient yourself to the Active Minds’ ratings criteria and fundraising requirement to help keep your chapter on track. Get in touch with us if you have any questions about your chapter’s current status.
5. Like the Chapter Network Facebook page. We regularly post tips on mental health programming, news articles about your fellow chapters and more. It’s also your go-to spot for connecting with other chapters.
6. Register for Conference. The National Mental Health on Campus Conference (November 13-15) is the #StigmaFighter event of the year, and we want you there! Register before October 13 to get your discounted Early Bird ticket.
7. Make sure your chapter is registered for the student organization or welcome fair. Most campuses have a tabling fair for all student organizations and this is a great place to recruit new members. Check out our marketing resources.
8. Schedule your first general meeting of the semester to welcome new members! Take a look at our tips for running effective meetings.
9. Reach out to the Chapters Team with any questions, concerns, updates and brainstorming support anytime throughout the year. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We know the new school year can be stressful, whether you’re going to college for the first time or returning for another semester – so don’t forget to check on your own mental health!